TWTW: Reign Dominate Stars, Increase Division LeadFeb 29, 2016
The Week That Was…
The Ontario Reign visited the Texas Stars last weekend to earn a week record of 2-0-0-0 to complete the six-game series sweep and maintain their first-place position in the Pacific Division with an overall record of 32-14-3-1.
The two teams kicked off the weekend on Friday at Cedar Park Center in Cedar Park, TX. The Stars opened the scoring just over a minute into the contest, but Reign defenseman Vincent LoVerde evened the score at 4:47 of the first period. The Reign continued to pepper Stars netminder Maxime Lagace with shots and built momentum before finally cracking the NHL prospect with 33 seconds to play in the game off a tally from former Star Sean Backman. Texas refused to quit, netting the game-tying tally and forcing overtime with five seconds to play. LoVerde rose again, burying the winning goal 2:25 into the extra session for a 3-2 victory.
The six-game regular-season series finale took place less than 24 hours later as the Reign cruised to a 5-2 victory and finished the head-to-head series with a 6-0-0-0 record. Backman netted two goals and forward Jonny Brodzinski registered a goal and two assists.
- Record: 32-14-3-1, .680 winning percentage (1st Place, Pacific Division)
- Home: 19-6-2-1
- Away: 13-8-1-0
- Last 10 Games: 6-4-0-0
- Streak: 2-0-0-0
- Goals: Michael Mersch* (19)
- Assists: Nic Dowd (29)
- Points: Sean Backman (42)
- Penalty Minutes: Kurtis MacDermid (93)
- Power-Play Goals: Sean Backman (7)
- Power-Play Assists: Nic Dowd (10)
- Power-Play Points: Sean Backman (16)
- Shorthanded Goals: Andrew Crescenzi (2)
- Shorthanded Assists: Four players with one assist
- Shorthanded Points: Sean Backman, Jordan Samuels-Thomas, Andrew Crescenzi (2)
- Game-Winning Goals: Sean Backman (6)
- Wins: Peter Budaj (30)
- GAA: Peter Budaj (1.60)
- SPCT: Peter Budaj (.934)
*Mersch is currently recalled to the Los Angeles Kings (NHL)
- Forward Sean Backman tied for 18th in the AHL with 42 points (16 goals, 26 assists) is first in the league with 180 shots.
- Goaltender Peter Budaj leads the league with a 1.60 goals-against average (GAA), eight shutouts, 30 wins and 2587 minutes played and a .934 save percentage.
- Defenseman Kurtis MacDermid is fourth among rookies with 93 penalty minutes and 24 minor penalties.
- Defenseman Vincent LoVerde is tied for 14th among blueliners with 29 points (eight goals, 21 assists).