TWTW: Reign Put Unbeaten Streak on the LineFeb 8, 2016
The Week That Was…
The Ontario Reign welcomed the San Jose Barracuda to Citizens Business Bank Arena on Friday and Saturday last week to take a 2-0-0-0 week record, push their season-high unbeaten streak to nine games (8-0-1-0) and extend their dominance over the Pacific Division and Western Conference with an overall record of 28-10-3-1.
The post-AHL All-Star break weekend kicked off on Friday on Pink in the Rink benefiting Susan G. Komen Inland Empire. The Reign wore pink jerseys, skated on pink ice and in front of a sellout crowd of 9,491, skated away with a 1-0 victory, their third consecutive shutout win. Michael Mersch buried the lone tally and his team-leading 17th goal of the season at 13:52 of the first period and Peter Budaj grabbed his AHL-leading eighth shutout with 22 saves.
Mersch added another tally and extended his personal goal scoring streak to four games on Saturday as the Reign erased a two-goal deficit to defeat the Barracuda 3-2 on Loma Linda University Children’s Hospital Night in front of another packed arena. Jordan Samuels-Thomas chipped in two assists and Budaj picked up his AHL-leading 26th win.
- Record: 28-10-3-1 (1st Place, Pacific Division, 1st in Western Conference)
- Home: 17-5-2-1
- Away: 11-5-1-0
- Last 10 Games: 8-1-1-0
- Streak: 8-0-1-0
- Goals: Michael Mersch (18)
- Assists: Nic Dowd (25)
- Points: Sean Backman (35)
- Penalty Minutes: Kurtis MacDermid (81)
- Power-Play Goals: Sean Backman, Michael Mersch (5)
- Power-Play Assists: Nic Dowd (10)
- Power-Play Points: Sean Backman (14)
- Shorthanded Goals: Sean Backman, Andrew Crescenzi, Jordan Samuels-Thomas (1)
- Shorthanded Assists: Four players with one assist
- Shorthanded Points: Sean Backman, Jordan Samuels-Thomas (2)
- Game-Winning Goals: Sean Backman (5)
- Wins: Peter Budaj (26)
- GAA: Peter Budaj (1.58)
- SPCT: Peter Budaj (.935)
- Forward Sean Backman is first in the AHL with 142 shots and forward Michael Mersch is third with 135 shots.
- Goaltender Peter Budaj leads the league with a 1.58 goals-against average (GAA), eight shutouts, 26 wins and 2285 minutes played and a .935 save percentage. Budaj is fourth in the AHL with 862 saves.
- Defenseman Kurtis MacDermid is fourth among rookies with 81 penalty minutes.