TWTW: Winless Week Won't Keep Reign DownNov 2, 2015
The Week That Was…
The Ontario Reign hosted the San Antonio Rampage Friday and Saturday and Citizens Business Bank Arena and visited the San Jose Barracuda at SAP Center Sunday to compete a three-game in three-day weekend for a week record of 0-1-2-0 and an over record of 5-1-2-0.
The Reign and Rampage entered the weekend as the last two teams in the American Hockey League without a regulation loss, so it was no surprise that overtime was needed in both tilts to keep the Reign’s season-opening unbeaten streak rolling along.
Reign forward Nic Dowd opened the scoring on Friday and forward Justin Auger buried the game-tying marker with less than four minutes to play to force the extra skate, but Rampage forward Ben Streetburied the game-winning tally with less than a minute remaining in overtime to seal a 3-2 victory. Reign goaltender Peter Budaj made 25 saves.
The Reign needed late-game heroics again on Saturday as defenseman Kevin Gravel made it 1-1 with 44 seconds left in the third period. Street would force the Reign to settle for a single point with his second-straight game-clinching goal in OT. Ray Emery made his Reign and season debut between the pipes, making 19 saves.
The busy weekend came to a close Sunday afternoon at SAP Center in San Jose, California. The Reign erased two Barracuda leads off goals from Michael Mersch and Ryan Horvat, but the home team grabbed two goals late in the third period to seal a 4-2 victory. The loss snapped the Reign’s seven-game unbeaten streak to start the season.
- Record: 5-1-2-0 (4th Pacific Division, 5th Western Conference)
- Home: 2-0-2-0
- Away: 3-1-0-0
- Last 10 Games: 5-1-2-0
- Streak: 0-1-0-0
- Goals: Michael Mersch (5)
- Assists: Sean Backman (8)
- Points: Sean Backman (8)
- Penalty Minutes: Ryan Horvat (21)
- Power-Play Goals: Kris Newbury, Valentin Zykov, Adrian Kempe, Kevin Gravel, Michael Mersch, Justin Auger (1)
- Power-Play Assists: Sean Backman (5)
- Power-Play Points: Sean Backman (5)
- Shorthanded Goals: N/A
- Shorthanded Assists: N/A
- Shorthanded Points: N/A
- Game-Winning Goals: Valentin Zykov (2)
- Wins: Peter Budaj (5)
- GAA: Peter Budaj (1.54)
- SPCT: Peter Budaj (.934)
- Forward Sean Backman is tied for second in the American Hockey League with five power-play assists.
- Forward Ryan Horvat is tied for first in the AHL with three major penalties.
- Forward Michael Mersch leads the AHL with 41 shots.
- Goaltender Peter Budaj is second in the league with a 1.54 goals-against average (GAA), tied for first with five wins and first with three shutouts.
- Forward Valentin Zykov is tied for first among AHL rookies with two game-winning goals.
Advocare Weekly Champion: