Reign Weekly: Ontario Takes 2 of 3Mar 21, 2016
The Week That Was…
The Ontario Reign took on the San Jose Barracuda, San Antonio Rampage and San Diego Gulls last week for a week record of 2-1-0-0 to extend their lead over the Pacific Division with an overall record of 37-15-4-1.
The Reign wrapped up a two-game series with the Barracuda on Wednesday at SAP Center in San Jose, CA with a 3-2 overtime victory. Trailing after the first period, the Reign fought back with second-period goals from Sean Backman and Adrian Kempe and team captain Vincent LoVerde buried the game-winning marker 23 seconds into the extra skate.
On Friday, the Reign carried the momentum back to Citizens Business Bank Arena against the Rampage. Jonny Brodzinski scored a goal and two assists and Brett Sutter buried two goals en route to a 5-3 victory to extend their unbeaten streak to eight contests (7-0-1-0).
The streak came to a close on Saturday as the Gulls skated away with a 4-1 win. Defenseman Derek Forbort grabbed the lone goal for the Reign.
- Record: 37-15-4-1, .693 winning percentage (1st Place, Pacific Division)
- Home: 20-7-3-1
- Away: 17-8-1-0
- Last 10 Games: 7-2-1-0
- Streak: 0-1-0-0
- Goals: Michael Mersch (21)
- Assists: Nic Dowd (35)
- Points: Sean Backman (51)
- Penalty Minutes: Kurtis MacDermid (106)
- Power-Play Goals: Sean Backman (8)
- Power-Play Assists: Nic Dowd (11)
- Power-Play Points: Sean Backman (18)
- Shorthanded Goals: Andrew Crescenzi (2)
- Shorthanded Assists: Andrew Crescenzi (2)
- Shorthanded Points: Andrew Crescenzi (4)
- Game-Winning Goals: Sean Backman (7)
- Wins: Peter Budaj (35)
- GAA: Peter Budaj (1.70)
- SPCT: Peter Budaj (.930)
- Forward Sean Backman tied for 13th in the AHL with 51 points (19 goals, 32 assists), is first in the league with 214 shots and tied for first with seven game-winning goals.
- Goaltender Peter Budaj leads the league with a 1.70 goals-against average (GAA), eight shutouts, 35 wins and 3008 minutes played and is third with a .930 save percentage.
- Defenseman Kurtis MacDermid is fifth among rookies with 106 penalty minutes and tie for first with 28 minor penalties.
- Defenseman Vincent LoVerde is 17th among blueliners with 32 points (11 goals, 21 assists) and is third among defensemen with a 14.1 percent shooting percentage (11 goals on 78 shots).