TWTW: Reign Collect Over 6,000 Teddy Bears for CharityDec 21, 2015
The Week That Was…
The Ontario Reign wrapped up a four-game homestand and enter the Holiday break after a week record of 1-0-0-1 and an overall record of 16-4-2-1 to sit on top of the Pacific Division and Western Conference.
On Saturday, the Reign hosted the San Diego Gulls at Citizens Business Bank Arena for the annual Smart Solar Power Teddy Bear Toss. Forward Justin Auger scored the prized Teddy Bear Toss goal in the first period and forward Kris Newbury grabbed the game-tying tally with 26 seconds left in regulation, but the Reign fell to the Gulls, 3-2, in the shootout. After Auger’s marker, the Reign collected over 6,000 stuffed toys for Toys for Tots.
The Reign bounced back Sunday afternoon with a thrilling 2-1 overtime victory over the Bakersfield Condors. After the Condors opened the scoring in the second period, Reign rookie Joel Lowry responded with his first professional goal early in the third period to force the Reign into an overtime session for the third straight game. Just 21 seconds into the extra skate, forward Sean Backman burst down the right-wing and rifled in the game-winning goal.
Highlights: Reign fight back to take down Condors in overtime
- Record: 16-4-2-1 (1st Place, Pacific Division, 1st in Western Conference)
- Home: 8-1-2-1
- Away: 8-3-0-0
- Last 10 Games: 7-2-0-1
- Streak: 5-0-0-1
- Goals: Michael Mersch* (12)
- Assists: Sean Backman (15)
- Points: Sean Backman (21)
- Penalty Minutes: Ryan Horvat (53)
- Power-Play Goals: Michael Mersch*, Adrian Kempe* (4)
- Power-Play Assists: Sean Backman (7)
- Power-Play Points: Sean Backman (10)
- Shorthanded Goals: N/A
- Shorthanded Assists: N/A
- Shorthanded Points: N/A
- Game-Winning Goals: Sean Backman (4)
- Wins: Peter Budaj (15)
- GAA: Peter Budaj (1.49)
- SPCT: Peter Budaj (.938)
*Mersch is recalled to the Los Angeles Kings (NHL)
*Kempe is loaned to Sweden for the World Junior Championships
- Forward Ryan Horvat is tied for second in the AHL with seven major penalties.
- Forward Michael Mersch, who was recalled to the Los Angeles Kings two weeks ago, is second the AHL with 93 shots.
- Forward Sean Backman is tied for the league lead with four game-winning goals.
- Goaltender Peter Budaj leads the league with a 1.49 goals-against average, is tied for first with 15 wins and four shutouts and sits third with a .938 save percentage and 1208:30 minutes played.
- Forward Adrian Kempe, who is currently on loan to Sweden for the World Junior Championships, is tied for 12th among AHL rookies with 16 points (7-9=16) and is tied for third among first-year players with four power-play goals.
- Defenseman Kurtis MacDermid is third among rookies with 49 penalty minutes.