TWTW: Reign Drop 3 Straight, Remain in First PlaceFeb 16, 2016
The Week That Was…
The Ontario Reign battled the San Jose Barracuda, Bakersfield Condors and Stockton Heat and dropped all three games in regulation. Despite being unable to record a victory last week, the Reign still hold the first-place position in the Pacific Division with an overall record of 28-13-3-1.
The Reign and Barracuda clashed in San Jose on Wednesday to complete a three-game series. Jonny Brodzinski and Justin Auger lit the lamp, but the Barracuda prevailed with a 4-2 victory. The loss snapped the Reign’s season-high nine-game unbeaten streak.
Looking to bounce back on Friday, the Reign hosted the Condors at Citizens Business Bank Arena. The two sides traded goals in the first period before the Condors pulled ahead with a tally with one second remaining in the second period and a goal 19 seconds into the third frame. Nic Dowd scored late in the third period, but the Condors held on for a 3-2 victory.
The week closed on Saturday in Stockton, California as the Heat picked up their second-straight win over the Reign with a 3-0 triumph. Michael Houser made 16 saves for the Reign.
- Record: 28-13-3-1 (1st Place, Pacific Division, 2nd in Western Conference)
- Home: 17-6-2-1
- Away: 11-7-1-0
- Last 10 Games: 6-3-1-0
- Streak: 0-3-0-0
- Goals: Michael Mersch (18)
- Assists: Nic Dowd (25)
- Points: Sean Backman, Nic Dowd (35)
- Penalty Minutes: Kurtis MacDermid (85)
- Power-Play Goals: Sean Backman, Michael Mersch (5)
- Power-Play Assists: Nic Dowd (10)
- Power-Play Points: Sean Backman (14)
- Shorthanded Goals: Sean Backman, Andrew Crescenzi, Jordan Samuels-Thomas (1)
- Shorthanded Assists: Four players with one assist
- Shorthanded Points: Sean Backman, Jordan Samuels-Thomas (2)
- Game-Winning Goals: Sean Backman (5)
- Wins: Peter Budaj (26)
- GAA: Peter Budaj (1.58)
- SPCT: Peter Budaj (.935)
- Forward Sean Backman is first in the AHL with 159 shots and forward Michael Mersch is second with 145 shots.
- Goaltender Peter Budaj leads the league with a 1.58 goals-against average (GAA), eight shutouts, 26 wins and 2285 minutes played and a .935 save percentage. Budaj is fifth in the AHL with 862 saves.
- Defenseman Kurtis MacDermid is fifth among rookies with 85 penalty minutes.